Many people still use fabric softener. According to commercials you can’t wash your clothes without it; it makes them fresh as a daisy and so clean you just want to keep smelling it. But is that right? We’ve looked at what’s actually in it, and you’ll be shocked!
If you read the packaging carefully, you will see that fabric softener contains a number of substances that are not fresh at all. On the contrary, we couldn’t find any reason why you should soil your clean laundry with these chemicals! We’ve listed some of them below.
1. Alpha-terpineol – This dangerous chemical can cause health problems such as dizziness, headaches, memory loss and even numbness in your face and pain in your neck and back.
2. Benzyl Acetate – A toxic chemical that has been linked to pancreatic cancer. The fumes can cause irritation to your eyes and airways.
3. Benzyl alcohol – Benzyl alcohol can cause a host of health problems, such as central nervous system disorders, headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness and extreme drops in blood pressure.
4. Chloroform – Chloroform is a potent carcinogenic neurotoxin and can cause many health problems such as loss of consciousness, nausea, headache, vomiting and/or dizziness and drowsiness.
5. Linalool – This is a sedative known for causing breathing problems and loss of muscle coordination.
All of these chemicals are part of fabric softeners! In addition, they are expensive and bad for the environment. We wrote an article about good alternatives that are much cheaper and better: Click here.
Save this article for later? Pin it on Pinterest!